Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Times they are a changing...

Yesterday after I blogged, I read through some of my older blogs. They were eye opening in a way. 

In all my older blogs, I refer to Camerin more often than Candice. I also use all male pronouns and make reference multiple times to her being a man. 

Reading some of them made me sad, but also showed me how far we have come. How our relationship has progressed, how much I've learned. 

When I started this journey with Candice, I had never met a transgender person, and knew little about them and their lives. I was naive and a little bit ignorant. I didn't think before speaking (or writing) and just said whatever I wanted to. 

Candice being the amazing person she is, let me do that. Let me learn. She guided me while I learned about her and her world. I'm grateful that I have progressed in the 7 years we have been together. And I am even more grateful that she let me make mistakes, without getting upset. She has taught me more than I can ever explain, and not just about her experience as a transgender woman, but about life and love. 

It's crazy to think that there was a time when our life wasn't "normal". When I didn't know how to talk about it, or explain it. Now I could speak about it for days. Sometimes you think nothing has changed, or you haven't learned anything, when in reality it has. You've grown, it's just been so gradual and natural- that you didn't realize it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment